How many gadgets featured in this 1991 Radio Shack ad does your smartphone outperform today?
- Mobile cellular phone with memory speed-dial & answering machine – Check.
- All weather personal stereo, AM/FM clock radio, and calculator – Seriously?
- Tandy 1000 computer – My 3-year-old Keurig is more complex.
- Handheld recorder, desktop scanner – There’s an App for that.
- VHS camcorder – Remember when your dad had one the size of a small piano?
Is it any wonder then, why we’re so attached to technology? It practically puts the whole world in our hands!
Studies show most people check their phone over 110 times a day. Americans also consume over 34GB worth of information every single day. That’s more than 10 hours of TV or 40,000 Facebook posts. Every. Single. Day.
A simple walk around the block means our devices stream data from a myriad of sources unbeknownst to us. And even at bedside, our TVs and tablets have access to more information and images than folks of a few generations prior had in their entire lifespan.
Neil Postman, author of Amusing Ourselves to Death & Technology: The Surrender of Culture to Technology put it this…Continue Reading