When I wrote The Purpose Driven Church, I made the bold assertion that every church is driven by something. That’s still true, and you must decide what will drive your congregation.
A lot of churches are driven by tradition. Others will be driven by personalities and politics. Still other churches are driven by debt, by the shape of their buildings, or by a ministry structure so large and so inflexible that fresh growth will be difficult.
Healthy churches, however, are driven by God’s purposes. These churches will focus on the Great Commandment and the Great Commission, and they’ll discover that God wants his church to fulfill five purposes:
- Worship – Healthy churches will magnify the name of Jesus in all that they do.
- Evangelism – Healthy churches will focus on the mission of introducing unchurched people to Jesus.
- Fellowship – Healthy churches will bring people into membership in God’s family, the church.
- Discipleship – Healthy churches will help people become more like Christ.
- Ministry – Healthy churches will help…