Mean people (aka Toxic) come in various forms … passive-aggressive, jealous, forceful, rude, loud, selfish, hateful, & so on.
Think organization morale is the only problem you have with a toxic employee? Guess again. What about loss wages in productivity? Added wages in “dealing” with the problem person. Why are you keeping people like that on your team? Whatever reasons you have … you’ve likely never considered the other side of their toxicity on your other employees.
Look at this research … here’s how employees respond to toxic co-workers:
- 80 percent lost work time worrying about the offending employees’ rudeness
- 78 percent said their commitment to the organization declined
- 66 percent said their performance declined
- 63 percent lost time avoiding the offender
- 48 percent decreased their work effort
Worse yet, when you keep people like this on your team, that need to go … you demonstrate to your team that you are sanctioning incompetence. And, the impact of that … (people perceiving you as scared and an inadequate leader who won’t act) … will cost you even more.
If you have someone like this on your staff … FIRE THEM immediately. Take action, save your team, regain your cred, and protect your bottom line (yes, this includes churches too).