“I bring you good news that will cause great joy for all the people” (Luke 2:10b NIV).
Did you know God likes to party? He’s constantly throwing parties. In fact, the Bible says that God’s angels throw a party every time a person trusts Jesus as the Lord and Savior of his or her life. They party for joy whenever someone turns away from self-centeredness and turns toward Jesus.
Christmas is a party — a birthday party for Jesus. It’s why we say “Merry Christmas.” Yet we often leave the guest of honor out of our Christmas parties! Thinking about this irony, I started asking people, “What are you celebrating this Christmas?” This is what a few of them told me:
- “What am I celebrating? Not a lot.”
- “The blessings that we’ve had in our family this year.”
- “Just the Christmas spirit.”
- “Being home and not being on the road for the holidays.”
- “This Christmas? I’m celebrating the birth of Christ.”
- “Nothing. I just want to get through it.”
This last comment is true for a lot of people. Christmas may be a season of celebration, but they feel they have nothing to celebrate. Perhaps…Continue Reading