The entire church is waiting expectantly. When your church is in transition—seeking a new pastor or other ministry staff member—there are a few things any member can do:
Get Busy about God’s Work
- Personally demonstrate faithfulness. This is not a time to relinquish church responsibilities or slack off in tithing or attendance. Your commitment is to God, not to a pastor.
- Some churches grow during a transition time! Invite friends. Share your faith often. (Try NAMB’s free phone app, Life Conversations Guide.) Plan the largest, most evangelistic Vacation Bible School ever. Grow your small group. Your future pastor will be impressed.
- Every member of the body of Christ, working together, is God’s plan for His church. God’s call on your life isn’t on hold. If you’ve become complacent, find a place of service.
Encourage the Pastor Search Team
- Pray faithfully for the committee, and mail an occasional prayer note to them. Show great support, but don’t slow their progress by probing for information. They are very aware of the urgency and gravity of their assignment, and will provide periodic updates to the entire church.
- Consider ways you can personally help individual team members when they meet or travel….