When we began planting Grace Hills, we didn’t have the quarter of a million dollars that some plants in America start out with. We had way less than that in fact, so we had to figure out how to hack some things together, and I’m convinced it’s made us stronger. We learned to do the very best we could with what we had, and we’re still doing that.
A lack of resources is merely an opportunity to be extra creative.
The Values of Excellence
The first thing we had to do was clarify our “values” concerning excellence, and we came up with five. These are not an official statement – just random thoughts that guided some of our early decisions.
- We do things with excellence (the best we can) for God’s glory.
- We refuse to make an idol of excellence – excellence isn’t the goal, disciples are.
- We refuse to allow the pursuit of excellence hold us back. We won’t wait for perfect conditions before taking risks.
- We will learn from models, valuing effectiveness over originality. We don’t need credit, we need life.
- We will be a model, sharing our…