We’re all familiar with the 10 Commandments, so I thought I’d have some fun and create a version for leading church volunteers.
I also have a set for how to be an all-star volunteer. Stay tuned for that one later this week.
Check these out for happy and faithful volunteers:
- Thou shalt plan ahead and ask volunteers to sign up early for special events
- Thou shalt have all supplies and equipment ready for church beautification projects
- Thou shalt not change instructions at the last minute (at least not often!)
- Thou shalt train all volunteers and provide clear expectations
- Thou shalt run background checks on anyone applying to serve with children under 18
- Thou shalt not announce a significant change and expect volunteers to implement it that very moment
- Thou shalt be well-known for appreciating your volunteers and having fun
- Thou shalt cultivate leaders on your volunteer teams so you can delegate responsibility to them and not try to do everything yourself
- Thou shalt provide documentation including detailed descriptions of what success looks like for each volunteer role
- Thou shalt communicate a compelling vision for why people should volunteer and how they too will benefit from the experience
Bonus Commandment for extra-happy volunteers: Thou shalt ensure that coffee is abundantly supplied (especially for the early service crew!).
What would you add to this list?